Welcome to Understanding the GA-600 Fire Resistance Design Manual!
- Terms used in GA-600 and how they are applied,
- How a fire test is performed,
- Basic conditions of sound control,
- Information in GA-600 system descriptions,
- How the General Explanatory Notes relate to system descriptions for sound and fire, and
- Different types of systems in GA-600.
Review questions are interspersed throughout the course to aid in self-evaluation of your progress. These questions are not graded. You must complete the review questions to move through the course.
The course ends with a short quiz upon which you will be graded. A grade of 80% or better is required for credit or a Certificate of Completion.
The material is divided into learning modules. Each module covers a specific section of GA-600 and features one or more review questions. The individual modules are presented in the same order as the Table of Contents on pages 3 and 4 of GA-600-2018.
To gain a more thorough understanding of the material in each module, review the appropriate pages in GA-600 as you work your way through the course.
As you move through the course you will see that all of the listed systems are presented in a common format. Each listing contains the following components:
- The GA (Gypsum Association) File Number,
- A designation as either proprietary or generic,
- The fire resistance rating in hours,
- The STC (not all systems have up-to-date sound tests, some older systems are retained for historical information only),
- A short summary of its key components,
- A detailed description of how the components are assembled,
- One or more cross section details,
- A list of selected properties (weight, thickness, etc.), and
- Citations to the test or evaluation reports upon which the system is based.
To begin a course please log in or create a Gypsum Account. Once logged in, select the “Start taking this Course” button from the top left of this page. Then navigate to the Modules section on this page to begin the lessons within each Section.
All of the systems in GA-600 use gypsum products to provide fire- resistance to walls; partitions; floor-ceiling assemblies; roof-ceiling assemblies; columns; beam, girder, and truss systems; and strain relief systems.
An overview of the material contained in the manual and defines specific terms used in the manual.
General Explanatory Notes that clarify information and describe common features of the systems contained in GA-600.